AFL provides industry-leading fiber optic products and services across the globe. Our company was founded in 1984 with a single fiber optic cable and now we manufacture over two thousand products, employ over 5,000 associates and consistently generate annual sales in excess of a billion-dollars in revenue. With our commitment to professional growth and employee development, let AFL Connect you to your next career opportunity!
The Material Planner / Buyer position is responsible for the planning and purchasing of raw materials in support of the manufacturing organization, managing the supplier base, and executing the overall Supply Chain organization business plan.
- Execution of the planning and procurement of raw materials to support production requirements
- Deliver Assigned supply chain objects in support of annual BU plan, while balancing material availability against cost
- Analyze/adjust inventory levels as required to coincide with changing customer demand, lead time changes and other initiatives.
- Utilize Materials Requirements Planning System and other planning tools or develop tools as required.
- Create and maintain requisitions, purchase orders, acknowledgements and resolve invoice issues
- Interface with vendors with respect to price negotiation, availability of materials, delivery time and supplier visits
- Develop and execute vendor supply agreements
- Review open requirements and vendor performance, expediting materials where necessary.
- Ensure that all purchase orders are clearly defined, entered and updated, in an accurate and timely manner.
- Proactively plan future raw material requirements taking into account New Product Launch timing and upcoming product mix changes
- Continuously work to improve delivery, quality and service of suppliers.
- Ensure that problems relating to delivery, quality, service or pricing are promptly conveyed to the vendor and resolved in a timely manner
- Provide forecasts to suppliers as required based on Sales and Production Plans.
- Provide documentation on production delays due to raw materials or alternate material use.
- Coordinate and lead supplier visits to continuously improve pricing and/or delivery, quality issues, new product development and any other pertinent topics.
- Develop and implement a Supplier Quality evaluation program to drive continuous improvement using a method specifically tailored to identify areas of improvements by supplier
- Prepare metrics reports, with a focused effort on continuous improvement
- Pursue inventory and cost reduction initiatives, such as scrap reduction and slow moving inventory consumption
- Update cost saving reports monthly or as required to support Business objectives
- Develop and implement processes to minimize excess and obsolete inventory.
- Research and establish contacts with potential new vendors to develop additional or new sources for raw materials
- Research and track market trends related to assigned commodities to predict cost changes
- Provide input into the Business Planning Cycle by providing annual volume, pricing and trend forecasts
- Adhere to and promote the environmental, health & safety policies of AFL.
- Perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
- Bachelor`s degree in Logistics, Business, Supply Chain Management or Engineering, will consider equivalent work experience
- 2 -5 years experience in material planning and purchasing, preferably in the telecommunications industry
- Experience in supplier and contract negotiation is required
- Must have solid understanding of materials operations, materials planning and inventory control in a lean manufacturing environment
- Must have strong interpersonal influence and ability to build strong business partnerships.
- Self-starter with integrity and confidence who strives to achieve even the most challenging objectives with limited supervision
- Team player with well-developed interpersonal skills that is comfortable leading in a cross-functional, multi-cultural environment
- Results-oriented professional able to solve problems and implement change
- Strong communicator with the ability to convey complex issues in simple terms to all levels of the organization
- Potential to grow into positions of increasing responsibility based on results and capabilities
- User of manufacturing related modules in Oracle R11 or higher
- Intermediate or higher user of MS Office
- Strong analytical, time management and writing skills
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractors legal duty to furnish information.
How To Apply: