The Maintenance Assistant is responsible for general maintenance and cleaningduties of the Fort Smith Police Department Facility and surrounding grounds. Duties are to be performed while the police department is in full operation, and the employee must cooperate with other members so as to minimize inconvenience. Duties are routine, but require some independent judgment as to methods and equipment to be used. The employeemay be required to work unusual hours. The employeewill plan and arrange work under the general supervision of the Training Coordinator, referring only unusual situations to the person in that position. Daily work tasks are assigned and monitored by the Lead Building Engineer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned. Note: All City of Fort Smith positions require the employee to provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees, and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive.Must show cooperation and respect to fellow employees and supervisors at all times.
1. Perform general maintenance or minor repairs on building structures and installed essential facility equipment to include HVACR, boilers, cooling tower, makeup air unit, etc. in a timely manner.
2. Perform general maintenance or minor repairs on building structures and installed equipment such as replacing light bulbs, air filters, ceiling tiles, etc.
3. Perform minor plumbing or electrical repairs as needed.
4. Perform minor construction or remodeling, such as interior/exterior painting.
5. Operates equipment necessary to perform essential job functions including automotive, lawn maintenance, custodial and other small equipment as required.
6. Vacuum/shampoo all carpeted areas. Moving and replacing light furniture as needed. (Spot clean as necessary)
7. Clean furniture upholstery as needed.
8. Clean up spills and spot clean soil and finger marks from painted and washable surfaces.
9. Maintains exterior of facility by mowing, trimming shrubbery, and removing weeds from beds and planters. Checks the grounds daily for trash and rubbish, disposing of it as appropriate.
10. AssistLeadBuilding Engineer in performing building maintenance duties as required.
11. Perform all other duties as assigned.
12. Regular attendance and timeliness is required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions provided that these accommodations comply with the City of Fort Smith’s Alternate Duty Policy.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED is preferred. A Minimum of two years’ experience in the general maintenance and cleaning of large office buildings or other comparable facilities is preferred. The incumbent must possess a valid driver’s license.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES
Possess a thorough knowledge of various types of equipmentand methods to be used to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Knowledge of the occupational hazards of the work and necessary safety precautions is required.The incumbent must have thorough operational knowledge of the use of a personal computer system, as well as various software packages. Organization skills and close attention to details are required to successfully perform this job. Communication skills in both oral and written forms, as well as effective social-interpersonal skills as needed to interact with persons in an office setting are also required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee must frequently stand for up to 5 hours with only one 15 minute break. The employee will also frequently walk, talk and hear. Body mobility to stoop, bend and climb ladders and stairs is also necessary. Manual dexterity to write and the strength to lift, drag and push material is also required.The incumbent must be able to operate various types of power equipment and utilize a wide variety of hand tools.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions provided that those accommodations comply with the City of Fort Smith’s Alternate Duty Policy.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works with toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment while within the police department is usually moderate. Outside the police facility, the noise level can be loud.
How to Apply:
Resumes may be submitted to:
Office of Human Resources
City of Fort Smith
P O Box 1908
Fort Smith, AR 72902
623 Garrison Avenue, Room 310
Or email (using apply button below) resume as a Word attachment