See all jobs in Norfolk VA
Job Location: Norfolk, VA
Job ID: 2019-2160
# of Openings: 4
Category: Skilled Trades
SJS Executives is currently seeking Automotive Technicians. Our ideal candidate will have experience troubleshooting, repairing, and/or overhauling major components and systems such as engines, transmissions, differentials and transaxles, electronic fuel injection systems, emission control systems, and related electrical, electronic, hydraulic, fuel, and other assemblies.
- Troubleshooting, repairing, and/or overhauling major components and systems such as engines, transmissions, differentials and transaxles, electronic fuel injection systems, emission control systems, and related electrical, electronic, hydraulic, fuel, and other assemblies.
- Tear down, adjust, repair, reassemble, and run operational checks on components of these systems following instructions contained in technical manuals. Troubleshoot and repair the wide variety of major systems described above.
- Use a wide variety of test procedures and equipment in tracing hard-to-locate defects or problems, and then complete repairs and installations with little or no technical advice
- Diagnostic computer printouts, or instructions, automotive mechanics isolate and repair malfunctions by a combination of visual and auditory examinations
- Use of a wide variety of test equipment such as computerized engine analyzers, compression testers, test benches, oscilloscopes, multimeters, and special feeler and dial gauges.
- Determine how far major components should be torn down, what parts and mechanisms can be reworked and refitted or should be replaced with new parts, and the type and extent of adjustment and alignment required.
- Disassemble, repair, replace, recondition, and rebuild components of the various systems, and make independent judgments based on specifications in technical manuals and on accepted trade practices.
- Troubleshoot and replace standard electronic components of systems, such as computer circuit boards and sensing and controlling units in engines, printed circuits in instrument and indicator panels, diodes in alternator regulators, armatures and control module transistors in electronic ignition systems, and sensors and relay units in emission control systems.
- Test and troubleshoot components and systems to locate equipment defects.
- Knowledge of the makeup, operation, and installation of complex major systems and assemblies to troubleshoot and repair a variety of systems or to rebuild one or more systems such as the following:
- gasoline and diesel engines
- automatic/manual transmissions and gear reduction system
- drive line and rear axle assemblies including electrical, air, vacuum, or mechanically controlled differentials
- electrical and electronic systems and accessories (e.g., conventional and transistorized ignition systems, charging and starting systems, and wiring and lighting systems)
- carbureted and electronic fuel injection systems
- exhaust and emission control systems (e.g., continuous flow air injector or fuel vapor control)
- conventional and power steering mechanisms and hydraulic power-assist systems
- other systems of similar complexity.
- Repair of hydraulic lifting, loading, turning, and positioning systems including their mechanical, hydraulic, electrical and electronic controls automotive worker, (e.g., hydraulic lift gates and electric wenches).
- Interpret and apply manufacturers' repair manuals and technical specifications, schematics and engineering drawings, diagnostic codes, computer printouts, and safety manuals
- Use of hand and power tools common to the occupation; e.g., wrenches, screwdrivers, insulated pliers, electric drills, pneumatic wrenches, and soldering irons
- Use of a wide variety of specialized tools and test equipment; e.g., bench lathes, grinding and seating equipment, clutch pilot and gear puller tools; precision measuring tools such as dial gauges, micrometers, dial indicators, and calipers; vacuum gauges, tachometers, compression testers, capacity testers, coil testers, and pressure bleeding devices.
- Operate electronic test equipment such as computerized engine analyzers and scanners, exhaust analyzers, dynamometers, and oscilloscopes.
- Make independent judgments and decisions within the framework of oral and written instructions and accepted trade practices.
- Work from oral assignments or work orders and determine the type and extent of repairs needed.
- Complete repairs with little or no check during their progress or upon completion.
- They complete repairs and adjustments in accordance with manufacturers' specification and service bulletins and ensure that vehicle systems (e.g., lighting systems, steering mechanisms, mechanical and hydraulic braking systems, and exhaust and related emission control systems) function in accordance with safety regulations set by various regulatory agencies. The supervisor assures that overall work meets accepted trade standards.
- May be required to serve as an on-call duty mechanic on a rotating-shift basis.
- This position may be designated as ALPHA personnel and required to report for duty or held in a duty status to provide support before, during and/or after special emergency situations, such as, but not limited to, destructive weather, disasters, or periods of increased security threat.
- lifting up to 40 pounds is required. If a heavier lift is required, it must not be attempted without assistance.
- Must be able to work at a rapid pace for a short period of time.
- Occasionally required to perform work by stooping, bending and reaching while in cramped and uncomfortable positions and by walking, kneeling, crouching, and crawling. Normal vision is required.
- Some work is performed outside and may require exposure to prevailing weather conditions.
- May be exposed to fumes, dust, dirt, grease and oil, and is subject to the possibility of scrapes, cuts, bruises, contusions, burns, electric shock and eye hazards.
- Valid state driver's license
- 4+ years of experience
- Overtime may be required
- Must be able to pass background/drug screen
SJS Executives, LLC is EOE, AA, M/F/Vet/Disability compliant. US Citizenship required for most jobs.